Sunday, June 19, 2011

Shooting in the Field

While taking this video class I had to pick a subject to follow. I picked a large animal vet here in West Fork. After my interview I was worried it wasn't going to be a very interesting story but on Friday she called and said she was heading out to a farm to put a horse down. Of course I jumped at the opportunity. Not because I am morbid but I needed footage of her interacting with a large animal.
When I got there I found out this was an animal cruelty case and she had been called out by the Sheriff's department to come out. It was one of the saddest things I have ever seen! The horse was only 8 months old and couldn't stand because it was so malnourished. Everyone tried to get the horse to stand up but it just couldn't. The vet gave it a shot and stopped the poor horses suffering. The owner was charged and the footage I shot may help put him behind bars.
Needless to say this story has taken on a totally different angle and I look forward to setting up another interview so we can talk about the experience and get the vet's view on it.

No comments: